|Marine Corps and Navy personnel have an official document certifying military training and education for recommended college credit called the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry (SMART). SMART is an official transcript endorsing and recommending college credit for military education and training and recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE), which increases college credit awarded, enhances opportunities to complete a college degree, and offset tuition assistance costs through increased college and university recognition of military schools and experience for credit.
SMART is now available to document ACE-recommended college credit for military training and occupational experience. The primary purpose of SMART is to assist service members in obtaining college credit for their military experience. SMART replaced the DD Form 295, the Application for Evaluation of Learning Experiences during Military Service, which is the form previously submitted to colleges by Sailors and Marines to verify their military experiences. The DD Form 295 may still be necessary to document some training and experience that is not contained in and cannot be added to current personnel and training databases.
SMART contains the following details:
• Military occupations held
• Military training courses completed
• College-level examinations completed, including:
o College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests
o DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSSTs)
o Excelsior College Examinations (ECEs)
• American Council on Education (ACE) recommended credit for each of the above
• Other Learning Experiences (OLE) - Not all training is granted credit recommendations by ACE. The OLE section of the transcript documents this training and includes reasons why no credit was granted.
SMART also includes the following addendums:
o Formatted to resemble many college transcripts
o Streamlines SMART, providing an overview of all ACE-recommended credits
• Academic Institution Page - lists college courses taken on active duty through Tuition Assistance, Navy College PACE or from CCAF (Community College of the Air Force).
To order the official SMART, follow these steps:
• Contact the Registrar Office at the educational institution you want the transcript sent, to determine the correct mailing address before requesting your official SMART.
• For assistance in completing a SMART request form please contact your Force Education Specialist at email@example.com.
• To obtain an unofficial copy of your SMART visit their website at https://smart.navy.mil. You may also request an official smart transcript to be sent to your institution from this website.
• For Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding SMART, go to https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/faqs.html
***Please review a copy of your SMART before requesting it be sent to your institution. This will allow you to have any changes made and provide the institution with the most accurate and up-to-date information on your experience and training.